Saturday, November 12, 2011

New Work

I really like the look of hessian (burlap) and I've been trying to think of ways to incorporate it into some of my pieces. But it is very stiff, unyeilding and hard to work with on a small scale.......and it is so HAIRY. So I've been experimenting a bit. Here's a little head I made in the last couple of days where I've managed to make a kind of cap using hessian. I really like how it looks and I can't wait to get this painted so I can enhance the texture with some dry-brushing.



This piece is going to be more sculptural than doll-like and I plan to incorporate some of the hessian texture on the body. Not exactly certain how yet, but working it out is half the fun!
The finished piece will be along these lines:


Don't forget to watch this space - I'll be announcing a celebratory (500 followers) giveaway sometime next week!

12 comments:

peggy aplSEEDS said...

beautiful!

canngil said...

very cool! How large is she??

maddyrose said...

She's beautiful. I love the look of the hessian cap. She's going to be amazing when she's completed.

Ron said...

I like it, Susie. The cap looks great!

Christina said...

your art amazes me every time.

Cody Goodin said...

Love the look of the hessian and think I may have to give it a go for texture. Love your sculptural pieces so much. It was your class that got me into using more air dry clay by the way. I used to be a polymer clay only kind of guy.

Susie McMahon said...

Thanks all! Canngil - this head is quite small - the head is almost
3" top to bottom and 4" from top to bottom of the shoulder-plate.
The finished piece pictured is around 18" top to bottom.

Healing Woman said...

I love your sculptural pieces and the new banner. The burlap does look perfect on her head and I can just imagine it on her body as well. I'll watch for the results.

Birgit said...

Stunning

merrijane said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Unknown said...

I love the look of the hessian cap too. Hessian is a highly underrated medium.

moonlady47 said...

Susie....I want to come back as you in my next life!!! You are so wonderfully talented and so modest about your art!! I love the little Sukeshi that is basically black and white and holding a heart! Can't wait to see you at Annie's in March!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...